Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Traditions

With Christmas fast approaching I have been thinking about all the wonderful tradtions we have and want to have. This year Abby is actually understanding Christmas a bit better which is so much fun. I feel a little behind this year but we will get there soon.
1. A real Christmas Tree- I love having a real tree. I love the smell of pine throughout my house and the pine needles filling up my vaccuum cleaner. I love having part of nature inside with me. This year we are going to head out and chop our own tree down. SOOO excited!!!!
2. Acting out the Nativity- I am not sure how this will go this year since we are the only ones in Ryan's family with kids and I am not sure how excited the adults will be to be donkeys etc. I am sure it will still be a blast!!!
3. The Christmas Train- We just started this last year and I loved it. It is a small train that takes you around a forest full of different light displays. Hopefully this year it won't be -30something it was a wee bit chilly last year. Super fun!!
4. Fondue- One of the traditions of Ryan's family that I love is having a fondue dinner. It is so fun to sit down and visit and eat slowly and just enjoy each other. Of course it is also very yummy!!!
5. Christmas Letters- Ryan and I started this tradition when we were first married of writing letters to each other expressing our gratitude etc. to each other and now we do it for our kids. It is a super fun thing. I know one day the kids will love reading the letters!!
6. Music- I love Christmas Music. This year I wasn't able to be in the choir due to work but I love singing all the Christmas songs and hearing them. I love sitting and singing away at the piano!!

Well those are some of my favorite traditions. This year is kind of exciting as Ryan's family decided to do an old fashioned Christmas and Ryan has turned into a little Santa in his workshop building all sorts of cool things. I will show you all after Christmas. It makes it so much more exciting when you actually make your own gifts!!!

I am so excited that in January my Dad will be turning 70. Oh boy and I get to go home. It has been over a year since I got to see my family and the farm and the mountains. Oh I love the mountains. Anyway I am uber excited even though Ryan can't come and it will be a long drive with two young kids but it will be so fun to see everyone!!!!

Hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas season.

Sadly our camera is on the fritz so no pics.


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

2 comments:

carolyne b said...

Grandparents, and uncles love to do anything for the little ones so I don't think you'll have a problem recruiting dockeys for the Christmas Nativity.
Christmas tradtions started as you get married are so exciting. Its a bit of what you did and what he did and then some new ones of your own.
Since moving back to Canada we always get together on Boxing Day with my sister and tobaggan, and snowmobile all day. No matter what the weather.
I have to say I just love sitting behind you and Ryan, those girls are such a blast. The Mears and I always have a chuckle after Sacrement. lol

Auntie Cathy said...

I have to agree with Carolyne - knowing Ryan's family, you will not only have a very willing donkey, but dare I say a sheep or two; heavens, this is Ryan's family - you may have a hippo, alley cat & anything under the sun. And in Hans' family, I remember many years ago my brother-in-law insisting on being the "star" that the wisemen followed, so he was twinkling all over the place. I still remember just about wetting my pants from laughing so much. Love it - family and memories. Your girls will have a magical night & the adults will take it all in with much joy. Love, Cathy Finken