Monday, February 15, 2010

Dad

Memories of my Dad mostly revolve around the farm because he loves that place. As I have gotten older and looked back I realize how much he really likes being a farmer and working on the farm. Growing up I sometimes didn't understand that and didn't realize why we couldn't do so many things that others were doing.

This picture is from this past October when we were there and Dad had fallen and hurt himself. My Dad is a little bit accident prone and I have many memories of my Mom running him to the doctor for stitches/dressings etc. Since I became a nurse he is always asking me health advice and wanting me to take his blood pressure and other such things. I guess this is a memory to me because I myself am accident prone nothing serious just little things but I always think of my Dad when I do it.

One of my favorite memories with my Dad is doing irrigation pipes at the flat. We used to go down with my two brothers and I would help Dad and the boys would do the other end. When I was younger I thought I was special because I was able to be Dad's partner. Really I was just the wimpy one and he was strong so he could do it with just a little help. I remember sometimes having a picnic  by the river at irrigation pipes and Dad would come off the machinery long enough to eat and then back to work.
I am so grateful that he taught me to work hard!!

One of my other favorite memories is when I graduated from University and he and Mom came up to Edmonton for my convocation. I remember him telling me he was proud of me and that I was going to make something of myself. My Dad is not big on words or compliments and so this meant a great deal to me. I am grateful that because of him I was able to put myself through school, buy a car, and buy my own house. I know it stems from him teaching me to be frugal and independant.
I am glad that he is a great Grandpa to my kids when we get to see him!
Love you Dad!

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

You have an amazing family, jess. Dads are great and yours sounds like he is wonderful.