Friday, February 5, 2010

Poppa

Today I am going to tell you about Poppa. Of course this is Grandpa/Ryan's Dad. I have a few funny memories of course most of them are funny because he likes to tease and I am terrible and get embarrassed/turn red and all other such reactions that people who like to tease love to see.
My first memory that always makes me laugh happened before I ever even knew Ryan. When I first moved to Winnipeg I lived in a basement suite of an older couple from Church. It was awesome. Since I didn't know many people they invited me to their "Rook" tournament. Since I love playing Rook I was game. Well the entire evening Al teased me about one thing or another mostly about being single and hanging out on a Friday night with a bunch of oldies he he he!!! Good times. For the record after it was over I went over to  some friends house and stayed out really late to make myself feel socially cool!!! Anyway he made an impression on me as a really funny guy little did I know he had a son that would soon be eligible.

One of my other things/memories I have when I think about Al is his perfectionist/OCD tendancies. They make me laugh! He did our slideshow and I don't even want to know how many hours he spent working on it. Pretty much every project/game or activity he is in it has to be organized. I love playing cards and he is sitting there organizing the piles. So funny!!!

Now I couldn't do a post about Poppa without mentioning his amazing photography that he has done for us. He is always snapping pics of us and the kids and has captured many moments that we haven't so I am super grateful that he shares that talent with us!!!

Most of all he is a super awesome grandpa. Abby simply adores spending time with Poppa. He has taught her very useful information like "eggs come from a chicken's bum". Just the sort of stuff you want your daughter spouting off at nursery!! They made this purple birdhouse together and Abby is always telling me it is Poppa and hers. Natalie I am sure will follow suit in her adoration of Poppa.
We are so grateful to live so close to him and to have his love and attention.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Fun memories.

He is an awesome man and I just love him. He has such a great sense of humor.

carolyne b said...

granparents are one of Gods greatest gifts... when parents need a break that is when grandparents can step in to assist... The bumper sticker that says if I had known being a grandparent was so fun, I'd have had them first. How true.